Sunday, February 28, 2021

Reflection on 2021

 For the first time in a year, I am finally caught up with my blog. So much has happened. So much has changed.

  • Dad went to the hospital
  • Covid restrictions began
  • Jacob's school switched to remote for the rest of the year and in the fall, we opted for online school. Partially because of Covid, partially because of the move (didn't want to have to drive him to school by the Hesses), and partially because of being concerned about having a baby
  • Dad passed away
  • All the boys and their families came out for the funeral and to say good bye to Dad
  • From March 3rd until about the end of April, we had at least one or more of my siblings in town because of this
  • We decided to buy a house with Mom
  • We found a house
  • We packed and cleaned up Mom's house of 33 years
  • We moved into our new house
  • We closed out Dad's storage unit (and ours!)
  • I told one of my schools I wouldn't teach face to face for them anymore after a prompting to do so and then was offered to teach online for them
  • I got another school to teach for (for a total of 5: BYUI, Colorado Community Colleges Online, Community Collage of Aurora, Johnson and Wales, and now Bryan College)
  • Went on a weekend trip to Wyoming for my cousin Cheresten's funeral who passed from mixing of medications. She has five children
  • Several of my brothers and their families came for Thanksgiving and then again for Christmas. Between the two holidays, everyone came out.  We even did a sibling/spouse escape room group date night 
  • We got to see some of Spencer's siblings at Thanksgiving and Christmas, too
  • Scott and Sandra decided to move, so we spent two weeks packing and cleaning to list their house
  • Between July and January, I got pregnant (planned) twice and miscarried twice
  • Mom had foot surgery (hammer toe) which left her on short term disability for 2 weeks.
I know this isn't covering everything. I feel overwhelmed. Our house feels packed full of stuff and I'd like to clean it out, but don't have enough energy to do it all. If it weren't for Jacob and Spencer, nothing would have been cleaned or cooked the whole time I was pregnant. Jacob was so great. If he did a job, practiced piano, and did homework, he could earn video game time. So the whole time I was sick and pregnant with the second miscarriage, he faithfully moped, swept, vacuumed, dusted, and cleaned bathrooms. I am so grateful for that little boy's willingness to work. And Spencer cooked (and still does). 

We have only been to church in person once since Dad passed away. We have held it at home and Spencer has blessed the Sacrament. I am also grateful for the church and organizing primary songs and lessons for each week/month. My kids are learning doctrine and songs because we have implemented these things each week. 

Spencer has completed a year of school work. Lots and lots of math: Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, and differential equations, along with lots of other classes. He's been very successful in his program and I am grateful for his hard work and progress. 

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by how much has changed, what has been lost, what has been gained. I'm trying to treasure the small things and making the 5-10 minutes before bed with each child special and targeted toward building their testimony and faith and our relationship by reading a scripture, saying prayer, maybe a song, and listening to them. I hope it helps.

No comments: